Myths and misinformation around the subject along with a difficulty to diagnose the problem are the common causes as to why head lice seem such a problem. After all, 12 million days of school are wasted due to head lice in the United States.
What are the common problems that people have with head lice?
- Diagnosis – dandruff, restudies from other hair treatments and hair debris are mistakenly diagnosed as nits (eggs) as well as other small insects are misdiagnosed as lice. Having a professional do a head screening is highly recommended.
- Over the counter head lice products – many of those products have chemicals that lice have become resilient to. In addition, those treatments typically don’t offer a solution for nits resulting in a need to comb-out the hair to eliminate all of them. If one is left behind, it will hatch again and another round of chemicals will be needed to kill hatched lice. In addition, not all the over the counter products are as safe as we wish they were, some have toxic chemicals that can cause harmful side effects.
- Nits (eggs) – combing off nits is not as easy as it may seem. Hand picking the nits requires time & dedication. The best way to do it is separating the hair strand by strand while using a magnifying glass to spot them and comb them out. Even highly trained technicians can miss one, which would lead to a re-infestation. Heat has been proven to kill nits more effectively and in much less time (link to AA treatment).
What can I do to kill lice?
Having a professional screen your head for a good diagnose is the first step. According to the National Academy of Pediatrics, a good head lice removal treatment should be: SAFE, FAST & EASY to do. Lice Clinics of America San Diego offers a highly effective way to remove lice. A safe, FDA cleared꙳ medical device that kills lice & nits in a Fast – 1 hour -, easy and effective way. Make an appointment now!
- Tickling sensation on the scalp – if you find yourself or your child scratching your head more than usual you might have lice. Lice feed off your blood by biting on your scalp. People are typically allergic to their saliva and that’s what cause us to feel itchy.
- Sores & red bumps – after scratching for while you might see some red bumps or sores on your scalp, especially above your ears and around your neck line.
- Trouble sleeping & irritability – lice are more active at night. People with lice infestation have reported trouble sleeping due to the itchiness or the feeling of crawling during the night.
Although this symptoms are common for most of the people, some other may not feel any itchiness or have sores and red bumps. Being alert and knowledgeable as to how do lice and their nits look like is highly recommended to avoid severe infestations. If you suspect you have lice, have a professional screen and diagnose your head.
There are many over the counter products available in the market that claim they treat lice infestations. Unfortunately they not always work. We see many customers that have tried those products before seeing us, and after being tired of repeating such in home treatments they finally visit us to remove the lice once and for all.The shampoos that are sold for head lice removal usually contain medication such as phyretrin or phermethrin, which may kill the lice but won’t take care of the eggs. Lice have a cycle and eggs that are not removed will hatch again and lay eggs all over. That’s the reason why in many cases the treatment needs to be repeated every week for several weeks. Applying so many chemicals to the head may have risk such as chronic eye irritation and chronic scalp irritation among others. In addition, lice have become resilient to over the counter products.Many people choose to use those products for a strictly economical reason but if you think about having to buy the products for follow ups the total cost is not as appealing as it may be.We offer an affordable and natural way of treating head lice and nits infestations. The AirAllé FDA -cleared꙳ medical device kills nits and lice through heated air. The device has been used in over 100.000 treatments with less than 1% return. At Lice Clinics of America San Diego, we can treat severe lice infestations in just one hour! Contact us to find out more or schedule an appointment.
BE IN TOUCH
2236 Encinitas Blvd. Suite H, Encinitas, CA 92024
5380 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92117
• Carlsbad • Carmel Valley • Clairemont • Chula Vista • Coronado • Del Mar • El Cajon • Encinitas • Escondido • Imperial Beach • La Jolla • La Mesa • Lemon Grove • National City • Oceanside • Poway • Rancho Penasquitos • Rancho Santa Fe• San Diego • San Marcos • San Ysidro • Santee • Solana Beach • Sorrento Valley • Vista